Wednesday 22 December 2010

Sharing BMD information



The really useful free BMD site http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl to obtain the GRO reference for birth, marriage and death certificates has an often unknown free feature. “add a postem”

This is where individuals can “donate” and “view” information about a certificate. If everyone who purchased a certificate at £9.25 put the details on a postem it would be accessible to others. Of course most people would want to obtain the certificate but it would help fill in gaps on distant ancestors.

If you see an envelope next to the entry someone has added details which you can access. If you wish to post details:

First click on the red INFO symbol next to the entry                 

and then click “add a postem” which reveals a text box of up to 250 characters. Then click “create”. This will post an envelope next to the entry later for others to access.

This would help so many people in their research and also avoid the possibility of ordering the wrong certificate. If everyone filled these in for the certificates they held it would be an extremely cost effective way of conducting preliminary research for your family tree.

Mike
Family Tree Folk

3 comments:

  1. Whenever I find a Free BMD entry that I think is for my family, I create a Postem that says, 'I am interested in this family. Contact Judy at (I quote an email address that will be valid long-term)'. As a result, I have had two new relatives contact me! My experience is described on UK/Australia Genealogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy that's a great idea and paid off for you too.

    Mike
    Family Tree Folk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this concept - i've got a load of certificates that I can go back and add info for, including about 3 that i'd erroneously ordered.

    thanks for the tip Mike :)

    ReplyDelete